pass-through income

If you own a business, it’s a must to understand the tax side of the business. This includes understanding pass-through income.

Maybe you’ve heard of the advantages of registering your business in a no income tax state. In fact, you may have found companies offering to set this up for you for a small fee. However, most nomads and full-time travelers already pick no income tax states for their domicile. How does this impact your business?

Consider this.

Unless your business is a C Corporation (the majority of you should NOT be a C Corp), your business pays ZERO taxes.

Instead, the profits of the business pass-through to your personal return and you pay the taxes yourself. This means where your business is registered makes no difference in the taxes you pay. Instead, it’s where you, as the owner, live and pay taxes that counts.

Let’s briefly look at additional details for the most common forms of business entities: S corporations, partnerships, and sole proprietorships to help understand pass-through income.

S Corporations

Unlike a traditional C corporation, an S corporation is not subject to separate federal income tax. Furthermore, most states also do not subject S corporations to a separate income tax. Instead, each individual shareholder pays income tax on the portion of the corporation’s annual net income received. In other words, in most states, S corporations create pass-through income.

Some states might have a “franchise” or “privilege” tax. It’s important to know the rules of the state in which you register your business.

While an S corporation does not owe income tax itself, it will file a Form 1120S with the IRS. This filing reports the owners and any income passed through to them to the IRS.


There are various types of partnerships, such as general partnerships, limited partnerships (LPs), and limited liability partnerships (LLPs), among others. Regardless of the type of partnership, individual partners will personally owe state and federal income tax on the partnership income distributed to them. The partnership generally does not pay income tax. Keep in mind some states might have a “franchise” or “privilege” tax.

While your partnership might not owe income tax, it will still need to file Form 1065 to report its income and member information to the IRS.

Sole Proprietorships

Income from your business is distributed to you as the sole proprietor and reported on your personal Schedule C as part of your 1040. You will pay federal tax on that income.

As you can see a pass-through business can be an LLC, an S-corp or a simple sole proprietor. Pass-through simply means all the business income passes through to you and gets reported on your own personal return.

Be aware that your business still needs to file a separate tax return if it’s treated as an S-corp or partnership, but it most likely won’t owe any taxes itself. A business or partnership files a return to report income of any owners, members, shareholders or simply put, you.

Keep in mind some states might have a “franchise” or “privilege” tax for S corps and partnerships. Consult with a tax professional to see if your business qualifies for this separate tax.

Does pass-through income make a little more sense now?

Pass-through Income Further Explained

As you can see pass-through income simply means all the business income gets reported on the owners or members personal returns.

Be aware that your business still needs to file a separate tax return if it’s treated as an S corp or partnership, but it most likely won’t owe any taxes itself. A business or partnership files a return to report the income of any owners, members, shareholders or simply put, you.

What’s still troubling you about pass-through income?

Looking for more business and tax tips? Sign up for my newsletter and I’ll send you the occasional email full of my most helpful information. 
[activecampaign form=3]
RV Tax Queen

I’m a numbers person—but don’t let that scare you. I’ve been an enrolled agent (EA) since 2014 and a nomadic business owner since 2016. Because I’m a nomad myself, I know exactly how stressful life on the road can be.

Nomad Business Academy

Nomad Business Academy offers mini-courses on everything you need to know to run a nomadic business, from which business entity is right for you (and what a “business entity” even is) to how to navigate self-employment taxes to learning if S Corp is a good fit for you and so much more.



This website is for general information only and is not intended to substitute for obtaining legal, accounting or financial advice. It is not rendering legal, accounting or other professional advice. Presentation of the information on this website is not intended to create a client relationship. For specific tax assistance please consult a tax professional on an individual basis.

While I make every effort to furnish accurate and updated information, I do not guarantee that any information contained in this website is accurate, complete, reliable, current or error-free. I assume no liability or responsibility for any errors or omissions in its content.



Join the discussion and tell us your opinion.

Choosing a Business Entity – Tax Queenreply

[…] owner or owners pay themselves fair salaries where employment taxes are paid. Then the profits are passed-through or distributed at the end of the year or possibly throughout the year. This can help create […]

How to Choose Your Domicile Statereply

[…] nice to have no income tax on that pass-through business income, […]

Leave a reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Grab Your FREE Ticket To The Know Your Numbers Workshop!

Join me on Wednesday, September 20th at 1 pm ET/11 am MT and I'll show you exactly how to conquer your business numbers without the stress!

Get your 2023 Financial Planning Workbook Sent Directly To Your Inbox

Have My Tax Write-Off Checklist Sent Directly To Your Inbox